Visual Project 02: Progress
Ideas for sound-based response to John Cage: “Sounds of St. Mary’s”
- Collect audio from the everyday around campus (i.e., naturally occurring, though overlooked sounds from around campus)
- Elevating the everyday "noise"
- Particularly effective because St. Mary’s tends to be thought of as a very “quiet” campus
- Current plan is to cut into a “song,” loop sounds to create a beat; nothing so mixed that it masks the origins of the sounds, but if I could create a melody that might be interesting
- Possible sources for sound:
o Water (waves lapping on shore and/or fountains
o Footsteps (on path or stairs)
o Doors slamming à drum?
o Sail slapping
o Door swipe (*beep*)
o Projector’s powering on/off
o Indistinct voices (like passing conversations under way)